Saturday, 18 October 2014

A whole new... Universe!

Inspired by our recent Engage play-tests and by discovering the awesome series 'Battlestar Galactica' (seriously, I'm hooked!) I decided to work on a new board for this excellent tutorial, I set off to my local orange and black hardware store!

our space battles!  Planning to loosely follow

-Black paint - a few tester pots
-Paint rollers
-2 spray cans (green and yellow)

And bits I already had:
-A toothbrush - I actually nicked this from our bathroom
-White paint - a pot of emulsion we had knocking around from our house painting.
-2 2x4 boards - I used the flip side of my sea boards, as both are flat, it seemed like a good idea

So a brief a overview of what I did:
First off - I painted the boards black - this needed a couple of coats: you can see in this picture, that rolling the paint on left lots of lines on the first coat. I haven't pictured this (doh!) but the next stage involved using my toothbrush to 'flick' white paint off of the brush onto the table. 

Being a responsible adult, I took the boards outside in a well ventilated area to get spraying! I started with the green can. Spraying 'clouds' from different heights created the illusion of space dust! During this process, the green can decided to betray me and began spluttering sticky rubbish...groan.
 After scraping off as much sticky rubbish as I could, it was damage limitation time. The yellow clouds served to cover up the affected areas as well as highlight the green and give more overall depth. 

Now back inside, I decided that I'd gone a touch overboard with the colours, so I took some areas back to black (or at least darker) by sponging. As a final touch, I shot some new stars across the gas clouds to get back to the intended 'spaceyness'.  Above is a shot of the finished board with my fleet!


No comments:

Post a Comment